09 December 2008

When Worlds Collide....

This whole warrior-poet thing might be getting out hand...

Last night I was studying with our COIC/PHC/GMU/PBN for the ROTC final which I had this morning.... I was memorizing the objectives of a recon mission, which follow:

Get information
Employ Security measures
Avoid detection
Task organize

Of course, everything in the Army runs by acronyms for easy memorization (usually), so this was easily converted into "GEAT." HEY!!!! That's the tribe Beowulf belonged to! I can remember that!

Upon my announcing this, Evans promptly pronounced me a nerd for relating ROTC stuff to my Literature major...but, hey, this whole classical liberal arts thing is about interdisciplinary study and compilation, right?

And that did come up on the exam, and I did remember it. Poetic justice, baby. ;-)


The first page of the Beowulf manuscript. "Geat" can be found at the beginning of the 14th line.

No comments: