18 February 2008

A disjointed post whose parts have no definite relation to each other....

“He can only get away from death by continually stepping
within an inch of it. A soldier surrounded by enemies, if he
is to cut his way out, needs to combine a strong desire for
living with a strange carelessness about dying. He must not
merely cling to life, for then he will be a coward, and will
not escape. He must not merely wait for death, for then he
will be a suicide, and will not escape. He must seek his
life in a spirit of furious indifference to it; he must
desire life like water and yet drink death like wine."
-G.K. Chesterton

...

I've always liked the way that 1988 is abbreviated as '88. I'm not quite sure what it is, but 88 looks and sounds cooler than any other double number except maybe 22 and 44...It might have something to do with Flak 88s...which would explain why I like 22 and 44, as well...

...

I don't often change my avatar on ANGEL, but I saw this today and, well...I have a new avatar.


A number of interpretations could be assigned to it, but I think that it could be seen as identifying shallow internet lingo (LOL) with shallow evangelicalism, pop theology* and prosperity gospel--Christianity lite, as I've heard a friend call it--and indicting the both of them. O for the passion for God's Word and for the love of every word breathed by His spirit to His prophets and apostles that our forefathers had!

...

I'm glad that I left xanga when I did; I was surfing the PHC blogring a couple weeks ago, and stopped by some friends' sites, only to be shocked by an extremely suggestive advertisement ON their site. Now, I'd seen it before, but only on the blogrings, never something like that on a personal site. At least one of my friends has moved to Premium (good man!), but xanga does seem to have become more aggressive with advertising. It's all about the money. Humbug. Anyway, just happy that my parents and I agreed on getting rid of it. Let's pray Blogger stays clean!

...

I was first shown Homestarrunner.com about, oh, 4 years ago or so, and have never frequented it. But this video stuck with me, is clean, and--for a guitar nerd, anyway--is pretty funny. So, here is "Guitar," from the Strongbad email.
...

I went for a 2.5 mile walk Thursday afternoon, in 21*, 17 mph weather (6* with windchill). Why, you may ask? Well, I wasn't climbing Everest, but Sir Edmund Hillary's answer is still applicable: "Because it's there."
And then I opened up my email on Sunday and had this in my inbox. Fitting.

...

I am wholly unmotivated to do much of anything of any depth (whether for school or play), and have been for about the last week...ugh. I'd write a post detailing why I think that is, but I'm not even that motivated. Argh. Just pray for me. Please. Thank you.

Sola Gratia,
Colin

*Just for the record, since I seem to have cultivated in the last few weeks the habit of making myself misunderstood: I DO NOT necessarily consider all theologies with which I disagree to be "pop theology" or "shallow," etc. I am talking about the mainstream church in general--and I don't think that my readers will have any objection to such a characterization of it, at least in the USA.

2 comments:

wanderer said...

That definitely qualified as disjointed, but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless. And I saved that Calvin avatar to my photos. ;)

Colin said...

Hehe, thanks, Josh. ;-)