27 January 2008

Odio Latinam et alterae litterae

Interesting as such chaps as Julius Caesar and Cicero and Augustus were, they certainly had a horrid taste in language. And, whatever other reasons the Reformers may have had for calling the Roman church the Beast of Revelation, I am beginning to be convinced that they would almost be justified in such an accusation solely because of the preservation and propagation of the Latin language by that body...

P.S. Ignore the fact that half the words I just used are of Latin derivation.....I did it again. Humbug.

P.P.S. Paganini's 24 Caprices for Solo Violin never cease to amaze me (I have the recording by Midori). The variation among them, the different effects achieved, especially by the double stops so often employed, and just the sheer imagination--and in many cases, the sheer speed with which the performer's fingers must be moving--are fantastic. They are very emotive works, from the fierceness of the Gypsy-inspired No. 10, to the contemplative mood of No. 6, to the mischievous good humor of no. 17, to the technical artistry of No. 5.

Nos. 5, 9, 10, 14, and the ever-popular 24 are my personal favorites.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha...yes, I believe that in itself would give them a reason to revolt....