21 January 2008

Third section posted on poetry blog. :-)

Thoughts for the day:

I’m beginning to learn that, much as I admire Mr. Spock (from Star Trek), he is not the best role model for interpersonal relationships. Yes, I realize that it is rather late to be learning that, but bear with me.

As strongly as I believe that reason (based on God’s revelation) is to be preeminent over the passions, the fact remains that humans are passionate beings, and I must be able to touch not only the mind, but the heart, if I am to effectively communicate. This also means that I must learn to speak from the heart, not just the mind.

As well reasoned as my responses to a given problem may be (I’m not saying that they always are), sometimes that is not what is needed. Sometimes I just need to be still and listen. When I am faced with problems of my own, I take consolation in understanding the situation to the best of my ability and thinking and acting according to that. But when others are suffering, they are not always looking for such a theological/philosophical answer. Sometimes they just need a shoulder to cry on. But when they come to me, I am at a loss because I want to answer them but don’t know how to do so sensitively. The one time that I think I’ve responded halfway decently to someone else’s struggles was when I shut up and let them just talk out their own feelings.

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the sun…A time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain…a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak.” May I learn the wisdom of knowing the times and seasons....

No comments: