18 November 2008

It's almost that time of year....

The trees are nearly bare. The wind sweeps the fallen leaves into piles against the curb and playfully nips at the faces of students making their way from building to building; they are bundled against the weather, their eyes and red noses peeping from their layers of clothing, their arms tightly guarding themselves from the draught. Scattered snowflakes have fallen upon the campus over the past 15 hours, though not enough to stay.

In a week is Thanksgiving break, and I'll be going up to my PA grandparents' for the week. And in a month (give or take a couple days), after a pile of papers and reading and exams (which I'll manage by the grace of God), the semester will be over and I'll be home for Christmas. I'm looking forward to it--to seeing family and friends and once again being home on the Nebraskan plains...to standing in a field blanketed in fresh, virgin snow, a full moon washing it in luminescence, its rays refracted by the ice on the branches of trees.

We've begun to play Christmas music in my wing. :-)

Go check out the Myspace page of the Mountainaires, a North Carolina group of homeschooled guys who play a mix of traditional bluegrass/Celtic/Appalachian music. Two of their members are here at Patrick Henry College (one of them attends the same church as I). They just released their second album, a Christmas album, and I'd highly recommend it.

The Lord be with you all and give you grace; see you soon!

"Then Noah built an altar to the Lord, and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings upon the altar. And the LORD smelled a savor of rest, and the LORD said in His heart, I will henceforth curse the ground no more for man's cause: for the imagination of man's heart is evil, even from his youth: neither will I smite anymore all things living, as I have done. Hereafter seed time and harvest, and cold and heat, and Summer and Winter, and day and night shall not cease, so long as the earth remaineth." Genesis 8:20-22

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, how's it going?

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I'm looking forward to coming down soon and becoming a "real" PHC-er. :-)

By the way, thanks for the past post with information on Ketoctin Covenant Church. I took a look at their website and I also am familiar with the general beliefs/structure since we used to be members of an OP Church. So I am seriously considering attending. Do many students worship there?

Well, take care, study hard, and all to His glory!

In Christ,
Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the information! To be honest, church is a difficult subject to deal with presently, based on all the situations I have encountered up here... unfortunately, it is a constant battle. Nevertheless, the Lord is gracious and I am looking forward to the move to PHC and privilege to worship with local believers. Thanks again!

All for Him,
Elizabeth