17 April 2008

Questions

This is something I've debated before, and I have my own opinion on the matter, but I'd be curious to see what my readers think before I present mine. There are actually three closely related questions:

1) Is it permissible for men to wear earrings?

2) Is it permissible for women to wear earrings?

3) If the answer was no to (1) and yes to (2), on what do you base the distinction?

And, no, I'm not remotely considering get my ears pierced. My brothers already know what I'll do to their ear lobes if they ever come home with earrings.

In other news, I've posted again to my Theology/Philosophy blog. As I look at the previous post, I realize that I should have titled it "Presuppositionalism and "Calvinism": the Biblical Answers to the Problem of Epistemology." Not that anyone reads that blog (is it really that boring?), but it is duly fixed anyway. ;-)

And on my way home tonight I caught a portion of Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini on the radio, so I'm going to listen to Bach's Toccata and Fugue in A minor (the one on my Songspot), and retire in a mood of pure bliss...

Colin

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What does the Bible say? I believe there is a greater focus on the heart rather than what jewels are worn. At the same time, there are different motives of the heart for wearing them. Generally, I think the Bible shows that wearing ear/rings is a sign of submission.

I think it also depends what culture one is from and what earrings particularly signify. For instance, in America, earrings in men signify rebellion. For women to wear one set (or maybe two) of earrings, that is acceptable. Also, multiple piercings (either in ears or various parts of the body) are a sign of rebellion.

Personally, I see no meaning in wearing earrings. I think they are weird, a waste of time and money, and serve no purpose. No offense to my mom, sisters, or other girls/women who wear them. That's about it. Thanks. :-)

AlreadyButNotYetResurrectedFallenMan said...

I would have to say that I definitely agree with what eghorst said... In today's culture, men getting earrings is usually a sign of rebellion (And also is looked down upon by jobs being offered) whilst women having them is acceptable.

Me personally about women? If they want to and they aren't rebelling then it is ok for them, but I personally don't find them attractive and sometimes find then unattractive...

I would check out your Theology/Philosophy blog more... but as I am a weak minded human... most of the stuff that you talk about fries my brains... lol

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughts, y'all. I mostly agree, I think. I was trying to get at more of an objective standard, though--is it ABSOLUTELY right or wrong for men and women to wear earrings, but I think it would be hard to say.

I don't think that all men nowadays wear earrings as a sign of rebellion (though certainly many do); when it started, though, they certainly were. But that's what I was getting at--if it became culturally acceptable to wear earrings (thus they are no longer rebellious), would it be okay?

Personally, my view is pretty similar to my view on makeup--that the Bible doesn't have anything good to say about them, and they're both pointless anyway. Sure, maybe you look more attractive in a way, but should one go to extra lengths to look attractive on the outside? Peter doesn't seem to think so. I really can't see any good reason for them either, and as earrings entail piercing the skin (and the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and the Israelites were forbidden from disfiguring their bodies), I am doubly cautious about it.

I am far from saying that they are absolutely immoral (i.e., that those who have already pierced their ears or are considering it need to REPENT!!!! haha...), but I think that it wouldn't be at all amiss for folks to closely examine their motivations for doing so and see if they can find any good reason for it.

I know, I know, I'm an unenlightened Neanderthal. And an authoritarian philosopher to boot. Nietzsche would despise me. :-P