13 January 2009

Morning Departure thoughts

See ya later, Nebraska.

I'm off to hit the books again. I'll miss you, the nearest state to home I've had. As much as I used to think it boring, your gently rolling landscape of cornfields, broken up by the occasional farmhouse and its windbreak or the grain silo, is a beautiful and peaceful scene. It speaks of the farmer families who settled you. And winter nights like last night, when a moon just past full gave a sleepy glow to the snowy fields, are nights that stick in one's memory and won't go away, and one doesn't want them to go away.
Call me crazy, but I'll miss your REAL winter weather...it was 15* last night, with windchills at -5. As cold as those silly Southern Californians think Virginia is, it just can't compare. That said, sometimes your blizzards make a love/hate relationship when that means friends and I can't spend time together...but it was enjoyable while it lasted. When I come back it will be summer. But we won't talk about that, and I forgive you.
I'll miss the friends who also call you home. Whether I know them through homeschool band, homeschool group, or church....May the Lord bless and keep them, and I hope to keep in touch while I'm away.
And I'll miss the family that has made you home. When I come back, the kiddos and the pup will be four months older and hopefully four months wiser (the pup needs it). But hopefully, they'll still like to snuggle and wrestle and play football and RISK and Axis and Allies...

Well...yeah. Lord willing, I'll see ya later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unless the Lord Jesus comes back before you do, we will be here, waiting to hug and kiss you (and the boys, to wrestle you) and welcome you home!
We love and miss you and are praying for you, dear Son.
Love, Momma

Anonymous said...

Boohoo! too true about the blizzards!



write me!